The Sydney Heads (also simply known as the Heads) form the two-kilometre-wide entrance to Sydney Harbour in Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
North Head and Quarantine Head are to the north; South Head and Dunbar Head are to the south; Middle Head, Georges Head, and Chowder Head are to the west and within the Harbour.
North Head is a headland south-east of the suburb of Manly. The headland is a outcrop of sandstone and is 3.85 square kilometres in area.
The Sydney Quarantine Station is located on North Head and is one of the few still-existing facilities that once operated in each state of Australia until the 1980s. From 1828, Spring Cove, on the western side of North Head, was used to quarantine new arrivals to Sydney to prevent the spread of contagious diseases such as small pox. A permanent quarantine facility was set up in 1837 and continued to operate until 1984.
The Hornby Lighthouse is located on South Head and is Australia’s third-oldest lighthouse. Macquarie Lighthouse, Australia’s first lighthouse, is three kilometres to the south on Dunbar Head.
Paintings of the North Head by two great Australian artists
Jackson Jacqueline (1991) James R. Jackson Art was his life…, Bay Book, ISBN 1-86378-024-6
Mary Eagle (1994) The Oil Paintings of Arthur Streeton in the National Gallery of Australia, National Gallery of Australia, ISBN 0 642 13022 1